Tuesday, December 8, 2015

For Better or For Worse?

Hello all you lovely people! Uh it seems like the semester is just wrapping up so quickly and in some ways I wish it would slow down, but I'm just so excited to get back to Virginia to be with my family this year for Christmas. Last year I ended up staying out in Idaho to be a bridesmaid for a friend and I had to miss Christmas so I think this year I'm just so much more grateful for the opportunity to get to be with them because it's hard to be away during the holidays. And even though I'm excited for Christmas, I haven't actually done very many Christmasy things. I mean I have baked tons of cookies, put up a little Grinch dude in my room, watched "White Christmas", and listened to a bunch of Christmas albums already, but I feel like I never properly so I need to get on that! Though I will be purchasing some nog tonight so that's exciting.

So I just realized I haven't updated you on the guy situation. So it turns out it wasn't going to work out which honestly, is alright by me. I mean, in some ways it would have been nice to have gone on some dates, but it just wasn't going to pan out. I actually ended up Googling "how to become a nun" the other day while I was watching The Sound of Music because I just was so sick of boys. Don't worry, I'm not actually depressed about it, I just think it's funny to talk about it like it's the end of the world. But some other exciting news is I'm going to get endowed when I get home which will be so cool because I'm going to go through with my brother and some people have asked me why I'm doing it when I'm not going on a mission or getting married and the simple way to answer that question is: I just feel like this is something I need to do at this point in my life and I shouldn't hold back just because I'm not getting married. I feel like I keep putting things off because I'm expecting to be married by this time, but I've been learning that my time table hasn't been working and I really just need to follow the Lord's plan for me because He ultimately knows when things like marriage need to happen so I should just focus on getting my own life going and then I think it'll just happen. Or so I've heard, people tell me it usually happens when they're not expecting it.

Anyway, this week we talked about divorce and remarriage which I think it a sad topic because families being broken up just seems like a sad situation. I am so lucky that I got to grow up in a home where my parents stayed together so I can't say I really know what it's like to go through a divorce, but I'm sure it's tough. We've been learning that a lot more people seem to be getting divorced now and because of the no-fault divorce thing, people can basically just end their marriage because they feel like it. A lot of people end up getting back into some type of romantic relationship because everyone wants love in their life, which means blended families. I don't know what it's like to be part of a blended family, but I would assume that it would take some adjusting. A lot of times people have a hard time with it because they don't want this new person to take the place of their own parent and they just have a lot of mixed feelings towards this relationship. I feel like some people have a lot of success with this because they have a system worked out and they blend well, while others just don't get a long and the new couple's relationship can start to crumble because they are more concerned about how well their kids are getting a long together.

I don't have much advice about what to do in a situation like this, but I would advise that if people are wanting to get a divorce, they should really consider if it's worth it because a lot of times they can cause a lot more damage and it can take time to heal. I think a lot of people forget the commitment they made and when times get tough, they just want the easy way out of the relationship, but divorce is never the easy way. If you're struggling with this, go back over your vows and really evaluate if you could do more to help the relationship because most divorces happen because of selfishness. Try to mend it before you end it.

Anyway, I hope you all have a great week!

Love,

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment