Thursday, November 19, 2015

Alpha, Bravo, Do You Read Me? Over...

Hello all! Guys I am LITERALLY on cloud nine right now. Like, it's insane! So like last week when
I mentioned I would talk about the guy I like if anything happened, well it happened!!!!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Okay so let me lay it all out just so we are on the same page. So on Tuesday I was sitting there and was like okay I need to talk to this guy and I sat there and I ended up putting pressure on myself meaning it didn't happen, I end up psyching myself out by thinking about how weird it was to just walk up and talk to him or how everyone would judge me. Well, that night I got a visit from my Relief Society president (shout out to Tessa) and we were talking about life, things like school, how much I hate sociology, the norm. Well we started talking about dating and I mentioned there was a guy in one of my classes who I liked and then I lamented about all my failed attempts at snagging him and you know what she told me? She gave me probably the best advice I have gotten in a long time. She told me I needed to just talk to him, which I then tried to make excuses about, but then she said "you just need 20 seconds of crazy courage", you know those times when you just get a bee in your bonnet and just do things? Like that. So I made a plan. I decided to just get over the fear and so I just sat by him. And the conservation just started flowing. It was incredible! Like now that I've done it, I can't believe I was making it more complicated than it needed to be. Silly Liz. And I also realized I'm not as rusty or bad at flirting as I thought I was.
YEESSSSSSS!!!!

So anyway, that is that. I'll keep you posted if anything happens, but for now, just know I am so excited I took the leap of faith and just did it. It's so amazing what can happen when you just trust and let go of all your fears.

Anywho, so...I'm so distracted that now I don't remember what I was going to say, oh yes. So I know how much you would love me to keep blabbing about my life because it's SO entertaining, but we must get down to business, to defeat the Huns...no Liz! Real business.

Ugh fine... 

So this week in class we were learning about communication and conflict, which I have realized is something I still need a bit of work with. Sometimes I think I'm communicating when really people are just in the dark. Especially guys, but I think they're just clueless to a lot of things girls do so I don't feel too bad about that. Now, we learned in class that most of what we communicate is actually not what we say, only about 14% of what we actually say is actually how we feel. Most of it is nonverbal like body language and our tone of voice. Now, I would say this is pretty accurate because sometimes my body seems to tell people what I really mean when I don't actually want to say it. I think this is a problem a lot of girls have because we expect men to understand us by our body language, but really they have no clue. Like in my experience, I have to actually say what I want and then they do it. This makes me think of a funny example of my parents. So in my family, we like any excuse to get ice cream because we are ice cream people. So my parents were going to stake conference and my mom wanted to stop off at a McDonald's for some ice cream because it's her favorite. They're driving down the road and my mom is subtly hinting she'd like my dad to stop, but he doesn't. We have a TON of McDonald's on the way to our house and so basically, mom didn't get ice cream and she was mad. She tells me later that "I kept telling him to pull over and he didn't do it once". At the time, I was like oh my gosh what the heck, but then when you think about it, he probably would have stopped if she had actually said "I would like to stop for ice cream. Pull over to the next McDonald's." It just goes to show that men and women really need to talk more because there can be a lot of hurt between them if they don't understand how the other person is thinking and feeling. Ugh humans, when are we going to learn? 

Sometimes we might not want to bring something up because it doesn't seem like it'll be a big deal, but we really need to do it because it could lead to problems later. I had a conflict with a coworker recently and when I decided to just say what I was thinking and talk about it, the problems just went away because we had a greater understanding of how the other person saw the situation. So it ended up working out in the end to just be open and willing to talk.

Anyway, I hope all of you have a GREAT weekend and don't worry, next week I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

Love, 

Liz

Gifs are from Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment